Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by the parasite Toxoplasma gondii. It normally causes a mild illness in people with healthy immune systems, but it can be problematic during pregnancy because it may harm your baby.
The parasite can be found in meat, cat faeces, unpasteurised goats’ milk and the birthing fluid of pregnant livestock.
Toxoplasmosis is caught by swallowing anything infected with, or contaminated by, the parasite.
There is a risk of catching toxoplasmosis from a pregnant ewe, if, during the process of lambing, infected material enters your eyes or open cuts. This is very unlikely and we take every care to avoid the contamination of public areas with these fluids, but recommend that pregnant women are careful to wash their hands after entering livestock areas and again before eating or drinking.
If other members of your party are entering the Animal Barn but you’d rather not, there is seating area next door in the ‘Adventure Barn’ which also houses a snack bar serving hot drinks and snacks.
More information from the NHS can be found here.
Please speak to your midwife if you have any concerns.